Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-Prince William speaks out after King Charles' cancer diagnosis and wife Kate's surgery -GrowthInsight
TradeEdge-Prince William speaks out after King Charles' cancer diagnosis and wife Kate's surgery
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:16:05
London — Prince William returned to public royal duties Wednesday after taking about three weeks off while his wife Kate,TradeEdge the Princess of Wales, recovered from abdominal surgery. During that period, his father, King Charles III, was diagnosed with cancer and Buckingham Palace said the monarch would step back from his own public duties during treatment.
William attended an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle early Wednesday before attending a gala dinner for London's Air Ambulance Charity, at which he shared the limelight with actor Tom Cruise.
"I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you for the kind messages of support for Catherine and for my father, especially in recent days," William said at the charity gala.
"It's fair to say the past few weeks have had a rather medical focus, so I thought I'd come to an air ambulance function to get away from it all," joked the prince.
William stepped away from public duties last month to help care for Kate and their three children after her unspecified abdominal surgery. Kate isn't expected to resume her public duties until around April.
Charles' cancer diagnosis was announced Monday by Buckingham Palace, which said it was discovered during separate treatment for an enlarged prostate. Royal sources said the king does not have prostate cancer, but the palace has not given any further information about what form of cancer he does have, or what type of treatments he is undergoing.
"His absence is putting a lot of pressure on the other members of the royal family, who are certainly up to it," Sally Bedell Smith, author of Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life, told The Associated Press. "Having one of the great stars of the royal family, the Princess of Wales, in recuperation from a surgery" adds to that pressure, Smith said.
The working members of the royal family attend hundreds of events every year to mark national, regional and local occasions and to recognize members of the public.
The palace said Charles would continue with his non-public facing work, such as signing and reviewing papers, as he undergoes treatment. His in-person meetings with the British prime minister are expected to resume later in February, according to the AP.
- In:
- King Charles III
- British Royal Family
- William Prince of Wales
- Prince William Duke of Cambridge
- Catherine Princess of Wales
Haley Ott is cbsnews.com's foreign reporter, based in the CBS News London bureau. Haley joined the cbsnews.com team in 2018, prior to which she worked for outlets including Al Jazeera, Monocle, and Vice News.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (261)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Mississippi River water levels plummet for second year: See the impact it's had so far
- India expels diplomat from Canada as relations plummet over Sikh leader's assassination
- Turkey’s central bank hikes interest rates again in further shift in economic policies
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Raiders' Chandler Jones placed on non-football injury list over 'personal issue,' per reports
- 1 killed, multiple people hurt as bus carrying children crashes on New York highway
- TLC's Chilli Is Going to Be a Grandma: Son Tron Is Expecting Baby With His Wife Jeong
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- See Kim Kardashian Officially Make Her American Horror Story: Delicate Debut
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- George R.R. Martin, Jodi Picoult and more sue OpenAI: 'Systematic theft on a mass scale'
- Dangerous inmate escapes custody while getting treatment at hospital in St. Louis
- Former Mississippi Democratic Party chair sues to reinstate himself, saying his ouster was improper
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Poker player Rob Mercer admits lying about having terminal cancer in bid to get donations
- Medical debt could be barred from ruining your credit score soon
- Indictment alleges man threatened mass shooting at Stanley Cup game in Las Vegas
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
India expels diplomat from Canada as relations plummet over Sikh leader's assassination
See Powerball winning numbers: Jackpot grows to $725 million after no winner in Wednesday drawing
US applications for jobless benefits fall to lowest level in nearly 8 months
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Kylie Jenner Accidentally Reveals Sweet Timothée Chalamet Selfie on Her Phone Lock Screen
Ancient ‘power’ palazzo on Rome’s Palatine Hill reopens to tourists, decades after closure.
US applications for jobless benefits fall to lowest level in nearly 8 months